Or, I had a bunch of yarn I was trying to deplete, and I made something that's halfway between a shrug and a sweater. I'm calling it the "wenchette", because it buttons right below my bust and makes my rack look awesome.Yarn: Busy Bee Hushabye and Caron Jewel Box; Jewel Box is discontinued, and the Hushabye tried to come unraveled a half a dozen times. I remembered why I don't work with the Busy Bee line much.Hook: J-hook.Pattern: Winged it.Notes: This started out as a basic shrug. I had the teal Busy Bee yarn, and I figured I could put together a cute shrug in an evening or so. I finished with the teal, tried it on, and realized I'd blown my measurements by about three inches. I had the Jewel Box yarn with me, so I figured I could use it to do up the arm seams a little farther and bring in the back. And then I just kept adding stuff until I ran out of Jewel Box.The purple accents on the underside of the arms are where I had to close up the space in the arms to make the shrug fit better. The collar and part of the back were worked as a single piece, and then I added the panels with the buttons to bring the sides together. The ruffles on the sleeves were a two-stage process. First, I crocheted a wavy pattern [1 sc, 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 trb, 1 trb, 1 dc, 1 hdc, 1 sc] on the bottom edge of the sleeve, and then I crocheted a round of quadruple crochet between the stitches on the next-to-last round of the sleeve.Sleeve close-up. The stripe of purple yarn above the ruffle was created when I crocheted between the stitches on the wrong side of the fabric to make the bottom ruffle.I did have to do some seaming to get the shrug to fit right. After working the collar and then the button panels, I realized the shrug felt wide open directly under the arms. I crocheted a small panel on either side to help fill the space and then seamed it together with the other parts of the shrug.And now, a few pictures of me trying to act like a fashion model so that you can see how this thing fits:The bottom edge of the shrug falls at my natural waist. The top edge of the button panels is held together with a hook and eye closure. I'm considering a third button because the the space between the current top button and the top edge of the panel looks odd to me.The back view. I feel like this is the most telling picture in terms of where I started and how much I added. The original idea was to simply have a basic, teal shrug.Now that I look at this one again, it's not great for showing fit and actually may give the illusion that the whole shrug gaps [it doesn't, when my arms aren't in flight mode]. what it does show, however, is that I have enough room to move a little, and I think that's important. Most shrug patterns I've seen are either super tight or too loose in the arms for my liking.Another front view because I like how it shows how the sleeve falls over my hand. You can see a small bulge in the purple seaming on the arm. I added one too many rows of purple before I seamed, and I didn't check how it looked until after I'd seamed and woven in my ends. This side view shows how the various panels of the front of the shrug curve with the shape of my bust. I accomplished that by adding stitches as needed in the small underarm panels I made to give the shrug a slightly more sweater-like look. At the end of the day, I like it. Everyone who's seen me in it has been very complimentary, and it's actually very warm and cozy.
That is super cute!
Thank you! It was actually cool enough to wear it yesterday, so now I'm certain it's a warm as I thought it was.
I like it! I wish I were experienced enough to wing it like that!
You'll get there! It gets surprisingly easy to make things when you figure out how your measurements and gauge work together.